Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Cross Without Christ


On Tues., September 14th, we celebrated a special feast day, The Exaltation of the Holy Cross. In my church, you will find no shortage of crosses. In fact, they are usually crucifixes. A crucifix, is a cross with the body of our Savior, Jesus Christ upon it (Corpus Christi). I'm often asked by non-catholics, "Why do you only use crosses with Jesus on them"?, "Don't you know Jesus isn't on the cross anymore, He rose from the dead"? Yes, we do know he rose from the dead, and it's true that the cross without the Resurrection lacks meaning. But, likewise, there would be no need for the Resurrection without the sacrifice of Jesus Christ! When I see an empty cross, I don't see the whole picture. I want to remember what Jesus did for me!! The crucified Jesus helps me identify with my own sufferings and crosses in life. It reminds me that our God, became flesh and lived, loved, laughed, cried, suffered, and died. Our God has felt the same things we feel! He's not just sitting on a throne, looking down on our sufferings; he has lived them and understands our every pain and groan. Yes, I wear this intrument of torture around my neck and yes, it has the body of my Savior upon it; because for me...the Cross without Christ is nothing!

Keep On Dancing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment